Sunday 23 March 2014

Studio Practice- lighting experimentation findings etc...



Hi there
Since the last post I have been check out led lighting. In my last post, Is said I thought I'd found a solution. One that would give the central column for my installation stability. The experimentation didn't turn out as I expected. When Mike and I tried the heavy pelmet vilene with lighting inside the column, it seemed far too contemporary an effect to relate to the other materials of wool, wire and other fibres. It was an result which I didn't expect.I thought that the small holes and the smooth surface of the heavy pelmet vilene would create a warmth to add to my structure. It was the opposite. It seemed to be very cold and clinical, no matter which shade of light was applied.
this is the heavy pelmet vilene, which was too cold an effect

Fortunately I had also purchased a heavy vilene which was not for pelmets, but was stiff enough to hold a circular shape, and might work well, due to the fibres that can be seen within that materials structure, when back lit. It gave a warmer effect and  will work much better with the fibres and merino wools which I'll be utilising within the design.

Perhaps difficult to see from this photo, but this vilene has a much better fibrous texture, and is warmer

This was the photo I took at home with the small led light inside

This was such an important morning of experimentation. It showed why it is so important to try all ideas out. You never know what the result will be. Because the heavy pelmet vilene is able to stand unaided, the fact that i wanted to utilise this one, meant there was the question of how I was going to secure it. Would it be secured to the ceiling, or secured at the base?



This is the solution that we came up with. The led light can be put into a  plinth. In this photo above, the base is polystyrene. It could also be wood, or Styrofoam.  If a circular section is cut out, the same size as the diameter of the vilene, then this gives a secure base and add extra strength to the column when inserted into the circle.As in the first two photographs on this blog. Also if the circle is as deep as the lighting box, then  this solves the problem or the light being seen at the base of my installation, where the steel spiral will start. The base can house the light and supply stability to the vilene. 



I though that polystyrene would be good to use for the base, but then health and safety had to be considered. Mike has years of experience in health and safety linked to lighting and theatre, events props etc. He had Flintex. A liquid which can be painted on to the inside circular area of the polystyrene and also around the outside. This liquid also may allow me to put the spiral on top of the polystyrene plinth, instead of at floor level, due to it strengthening any material it is applied to. I am having a meting this Tuesday with Alison the tutor who is advising me on the spiral material and structure, I'll talk to her about this, and let you know my finding within my next blog.

I have also been continuing with my experiments and developments. The recent one has been with garden twine.I want try out materials which I can incorporate to portray shelter and safety.
 
 garden twine knitted, then ,wet felted merino wools and silk fibres.

I quite like the effect but I have to do some experiments to try other possible substitutes for the twine. It is too thick to catch all the fibres when I wet felt it. Others are being tried at the moment, including the organza caught within wet felting, that I mentioned earlier. I have also been sourcing more materials. I needed more merino wool and also I am trying working with crochet and knitted wire. Much to do and time is running out for all deadlines.

Found a new source for supplies. www.LagomFeltStudio.com
 It's in Crieff.

Other news.
I am getting on with the website meetings with Stephen and have to push on with my promotional materials. I am pleased with the way all is going with that, but I have to order my promotional materials. Need to have a meeting with Stephen this week,and make sure that fonts on the website correspond with all others within my promotional materials. I want the fonts to be consistent throughout.
The presentations for contextual went well on Friday. It was brilliant to hear everyone's presentation. A great thought provoking, morning. Hopefully the marks will be favourable, also getting on with the essay due soon.
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment