Monday 31 March 2014

studio practice update


Hi
Since my last post I have been creating the steel spiral for my installation with Alison in the College. Two 6 metre lengths of steel, were wrapped around a jig and then welded one to another to give a five level spiral .I decided to use steel for the spiral due to the saying  "nerves of steel" when we sometimes talk about human behaviour.I think it also depicts the strength of human beings generally, even if there are times when we don't feel that we are strong.I see it as the spinal column of the installation, and the central lit column, the human spirit.
 Due to the diameter of the vilene that I am going to use for the central lit section, the over-all diameter is now slightly smaller than I originally thought. It will be 28cm diameter. But I think that is good. The dimensions seem to work better. Also, after the lighting experiments, I decided that the felting and silk fibres should be a little closer to the central lit section.
Construction so far,with straight supports. These will be taken away once S shaped supports are put in between each level of  steel. I didn't want any straight lines within the structure.

 The vilene that I am holding is a small section to show the distance between the outer and inner circular shape. The vilene on the finished piece will be as tall as the spiral.

Once I saw the actual steel spiral coming together, it made me wonder what materials would finally look best on the structure. I think hat fine felting and silk papers will work well , but I now think that more solid sections of felting will be needed at the base, and then light being let in gradually as the materials rise to the top. I would like the lower sections to have fine windows within the felting to allow the light to penetrate. As is shown by the photo below.


wet felted pre-felt with merino roving incorporated
I also knew, once I saw the steel spiral, that it would need a support, for my materials on some sections. This would add another texture and help to create the feeling that I am trying to achieve.The other material that I been trying out is garden fine mesh. Garden centres are always a great place to find materials that can be utilised within artwork.I thought that it would perhaps be useful to secure to the spiral in a fine layer to support my felted sections. I also like the use of mesh as part of the security and shelter of our needs as human beings, and the protective element linked to growing plants.Growth is one of the main strands that I link to Maslow's hierarchy of needs.


This mesh is really good to manipulate and create texture with. The mesh is good to use with back lighting, due to the fact that some strands show up and some disappear with the light.


This is a small ramekin put on top of the mesh. The heat gun used to mould around the shape. This is another advantage of this polyester mesh. It moulds and melts very well. This could be a distinct advantage when connecting  final samples.
I'm continuing with sample but I will be very pleased when the mid module tutorials happen. They always help me to evaluate my actions.



mesh which is roughly back lit, with heat gunned wadding



Bye just now










No comments:

Post a Comment