Tuesday 22 April 2014

Easter biz


Hi again
I have had a busy Easter with finalising the essay for contextual, meeting with Stephen with regards to my website. The website is finished, but I have to familiarise myself with the uploading of images etc that I need to complete before the PDP Presentation.My promotional materials are almost complete now. Which is great. I'm really pleased with the website and Stephen has done a good job.I had a tutorial with him regarding on how I update information during the Easter break, so now I will spend some time getting to know the way around my new site. I'll post when it's ready to be viewed. It's great to have my own website which will help with future promotion of my work and also help me to promote the art workshops which I intend to offer.

The essay draft is almost there for submission this week. Phew!!!!! That's been quite a journey,but an interesting one.

The Studio Practice 2
When I previously spoke about the mesh that I will use to give me a support on top of the steel spiral, I decided that I would try to felt the merino wool directly on to the mesh, just to see what the effect was.Also to determine the time scale of doing that.

This is the merino wool and silk fibres having been placed directly on to a rectangular section of the mesh.I placed the fibres on to the mesh in a spiral motion. There is a section within my research sketchbook explaining why I have chosen these particular colours. Each colour has been chosen following my finding about research carried out by Angela Wright, a colour psychologist with a proven academic record of study linking to patterns of colour and pattern of human behaviours. 
I then wet felted this. Four  session of rolling ensured that the fibres clung to the mesh.Then I included more silk fibres to highlight areas.I was wanting to depict growth, an element that I personally see linking to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.
Once it was wet felted I decided to attach it horizontally instead of vertically on to a spiral that I had formed from soft aluminium wire. Metallic threads were hand stitched on to the structure to inject a silver flash portraying self actualisation. This picture was taken outside in a setting more fitting to the aspect of this piece.
 
This is he felted structure with an led light inside.
When I create the final pieces for the installation for exhibition, I want most of the fibres to show when  back lit from the led light within the vilene central column.
This was a good way for me to determine whether heavy felting will work. Some sections with heavier felting will be ok on the structure to include within the shelter and safety levels. It will give the feeling on safety and also add depth when the heavier felted areas block some of the light. I also now know that I cannot work directly in to the mesh on the final structure. It would be too difficult with the size required and also would take too long to complete. I have to adhere to the time plan for this brief.I am going to work on this structure further and add a base of felting to make the flow more progressive from below the spiral.
The other development is a five section of wet felting which I may be using as a wall hanging. This, I know is not anything unusual when it comes to wet felting, but it is something I want to try to create. Again with an organic feeling of Growth as the inspiration.

Wet felted section under the netting ready to have more soap and water applied.
I am going to secure this with some wire crochet . This will help with the my concept of linkage, that is something that I do acknowledge, unlike Maslow, when thinking of human needs. Theorists since then, have mentioned that Maslow didn't include our human need to link and connect with other people when he complied his theory.
This piece above is not one which will be included within the final structure. My research on tree houses, shelter and family trees linking to relationships, spurred me to want to create the above pieces. I will now carry on with developing sections for the final piece. In particular experimenting some more with connective cell shapes for the third level and Benesh  dance notation pattern for the fourth level of mastery.
So there is much to be getting on with.
Bye just now


 

No comments:

Post a Comment