Wednesday 30 April 2014

spiral construction


Hi there
I have been in the work room at the College constructing the steel spiral which will be the main structure for my installation. The spiral will have mesh wrapped around which will be the support for my textile sections.
This is the spiral still with vertical supports which will be changed to S shaped supports. This photograph shows the newsprint which I wrapped around to mark up to create a template for  some of the textile pieces I'll be making.
The spiral has been in construction with much guidance from Alison since before the Easter break.
Today the main construction was finalised, and I am so pleased with it.


this was taken yesterday  when I was cutting away the spot welding securing the vertical supports. fifteen S shaped supports are now is place and the design has worked well.

If I hadn't worked on the Marquette to determine the best solution for my design, the end result would not have worked. This structure has taken quite a time to weld shape and secure all sections to create the initial spiral shape which I envisaged quite early on within my development and research on human needs. I think that I have used Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as a springboard for this construction more than trying to depict his theory in depth. For one thing, there has not been the time to investigate all aspects, but the levels of his theory  has given me a structure to work with both visually and conceptually.
I started sanding the spiral today. Primer will be applied and then white car spray paint. The shape will take on a whole new character when it changes colour. I've decided on white due to the fact that the mesh is white, and when lit, I think and hope that the white shape of the spiral will show in some sections through the constructed materials.  I think white for the spiral structure would be the best aesthetic solution.I also always intended to portray the strength of the human with the steel, and white, for me, symbolises our skeletal structure. The natural colour of the steel would also not blend in with the other materials I am using. This is a decision which I have to take now. Once the mesh is secured then I cannot change my decision. There is no time to do that. I hope that it all work as I plan. But any difficulties that I encounter, I'll try and find a quick way to solve.
The final primed and painted spiral will be within my next blog.
Hoping for a good day on Friday to spray the spiral, I'll be doing that outside. Fingers crossed for a dry and bright day. OK, dry will do fine.Bright will be a bonus.
Bye just now


  

No comments:

Post a Comment