Tuesday 20 May 2014

Exhibition getting closer, it's all very exciting

Hi
I have managed to gain access to the space that my installation will be exhibited throughout the exhibition, since clearing the space last Friday.
trying out some textile pieces on the spiral/mesh support

before I started to work within the chosen exhibition space, I tried one or two of my final samples on the mesh covered spiral. This gave me a good idea of whether the amount that I had made would create the effect that I was trying to achieve. It was a test which was invaluable. It confirmed for me that the installation would look the way I had planned it to look. Certainly at this stage. It also helped me to determine how many more felted and felted organza pieces I had to create to cover area. Some pieces seemed to work better than others when I am seeing the natural light through them within the room.However, that is something I expected. I am not going to really be able to determine the total effect of the attached pieces until Mike and I do the lighting experiment within the space. That will be happening on Thursday. I have left enough time in case there are any major changes to my design which I have to do following his visit. It will also be the first time he has been in the space. This will also be beneficial for Mike, for when he comes in the set the lights on the set-up days starting the 2nd June. Thursday will be a combination of excitement and apprehension. I really do hope that my project planning and design work well within the space, alongside the lighting and sound-scape.
I am seeing Martin this week also to hear the first recording of the ideas which I discussed with him. I had quite a strong idea of what I wanted the track to be, and this will now be us both heading into sorting the final sound track for exhibition. There will be editing to do and I need to make sure that times are arranged with him this week for recording the tap steps and for the following week prior to set-up week, for editing and finalising.
crochet fishing gut with led light behind 

This image above shows the fishing gut which I have crochet into long sections.I placed an led light behind it. I wanted to find a medium which could portray bubbles, linking to the percentage of water which makes up a human being.I also want to include water sounds within the sound track, so there is also a link with that.I also thought it might work well at the top of the spiral, due to it catching the light well. I won't know if this will work or even be necessary until I am working directly on to the piece and have finalised all other sections. It may be too heavy aesthetically and it may also not work well alongside the felting.It does work with the silk paper but it depends on the colour I decide to sue for the top two areas of the spiral, as to whether this will blend in. Angelina fibres would also work well, but only if used sparingly. Have to get on now, as per usual there is much to do. One thing is for sure, I am never bored.Thankfully. I am loving every minute of creating this installation. Here's hoping I can indeed reach my own fifth level of self actualisation. I'll return after the on site lighting trial. Bye for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment