Tuesday 6 May 2014

Spiral structure complete, onwards and hopefully upwards

Hi there
Well, the spiral steel structure is now complete. Thursday and Friday was spent sanding,priming and spraying, tomorrow one more coat of white and I am ready then to attach the mesh, which will support  my textile pieces.

 finished structure prior to priming
primer applied
In my last post I mentioned that I wanted to paint the spiral white. I am pleased that I kept to my instincts. When I sanded the steel, there was a moment when I thought I would keep the natural colour of the sanded steel. Perhaps if I hadn't been using felting methods , and I was using another medium, then it would have worked. But I think that white behind the materials and in front of the led light, will be more effective. The reason for this is that when lit, the sweeping sections of the spiral will show through the gaps within the mesh which I intend to leave and through some of the abstract shapes within my design. White will blend into some of the white sections of materials. The steel silver colour would perhaps have looked out of place.
spiral painted white and left to dry

Heading in to College tomorrow to add the final coat of white, and also to attach the mesh. The spiral has taken quite a time to create, but it has been an amazing learning curve,and has provided me with a feeling of a huge sense of achievement. I hadn't envisaged quite so many days for working on this, but at the point of writing my time-plan, I wasn't sure  what support would be required to create my art work. It was important to get the shape correct, or the rest of my design would not have worked, therefore the time was well spent.
I am in the process of making the cob web felted sections which will be attached to the mesh. I don't want to cover all areas with materials. I think there needs to be areas where the light and the mesh are seen only. This will create quiet areas of reflection and enable the viewer to see into my symbolic steel skeleton and light within the centre of the structure with which I am hoping to depict the soul of a human being.
Once I see the materials in place, I can then decide which areas will require additions or adjustments. The first sections are larger than the additional ones will need to be secured to each of the five levels.This is the best way for me to work. I now need to start to work straight on to the mesh covered spiral. That should be possible this week.
 
Other news
There was really good feedback from my essay draft. I was so happy about that. Final submission next Friday.
The promotional materials are all done. They have now to be secured to the presentation board and put within my folder. Business cards arrived last week, and I am delighted with them.
The final photo's of my work has still not been decided for my website. Also one or two tweaks to be done, but only minor ones. I'm delighted that it is done, and that Stephen made such a good job.

By for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment